Saturday, August 27, 2016

Live Every Decade as If It's Your Last

Remember:
"Live every day as if it's the last?"

Kind of hard, but useful, especially for younger people who tend not to focus too much, because of course most of them have not days but DECADES to go.

But what about those of us who have already lived decades?
We have a pretty good idea (having seen it with our parents and older friends) what a "last day" is like. And anyway, what we still want to do is going to take more than a day, however fulfilling that day might be.

How about we try a different motto:
Live this decade as if it's the last.

This has a couple advantages.

First,  not to be a Debbie Downer, but it could be true. If you're a Boomer, heck, if you're over 50, this could well be your last decade.

It PROBABLY won't, but let's just accept the reality. I had (of course) four grandparents. One died at 52 (people had hard lives back then). One died at 67, one at 66. (The meanest, Grandma Todd, lived into her 80s. That says something or other!) It's hard to look at the age on my Facebook profile and realize... I'm as old as my grandparents were when I was growing up. (And let me just confess-- I'm not half as mature as they were.


No comments:

Post a Comment